[Foundation-l] Reply to Mark

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 00:09:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2008, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Let's be clear: you killfiled a thread critical of the foundation,
>  >  that was ongoing and was at present constructive and unoffensive (with
>  >  any nastiness long since past), that was being responded to by
>  >  Florence,  and was relevant to this list. This is the kind of heavy-
>  >  handed moderation that brings up allegations of censorship.  Please be
>  >  more hands-off and not step in with moderation when there is no problem.
>
>  And if the killfile was legitimate, why didn't you tell anyone until
>  15 hours after you did it? Quite a few list regulars were involved, it
>  seems like basic respect to tell them that you did this.

For some reason, Dan's e-mails were being filed as spam, so I
apologize for not replying him directly.

Foundation-l administrative actions are usually done quietly, and for
the most part nobody notices.  If you've just made some inflammatory
comments and suddenly find that your posts are taking an hour or two
to make it to the list, it's because we've flagged you for moderation
and are reviewing your posts before allowing them through.  It's in
this way that we try to enforce some semblance of civil discussion,
and many have said that we still don't do enough.