[Foundation-l] Next board meeting

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Feb 26 13:56:24 UTC 2008

A charity's treasurer is always a member of the board. It is one of the
positions that is more you *must* have than more than *should* have. Where
you have a staff and noticeable amount of financial transactions to deal
with, the treasurer does not deal with these aspects. They employ someone on
staff to do the daily bookkeeping; either a Chief Accountant, or in more
Americanised terms, a Chief Financial Officer.

Looking at a small organisation, my father spent several years as the
treasurer for his local church. He had salary for a staff of one (the
priest), accounting of costs such as the manse and church buildings, and
management of donations to handle. This was all something that he could get
90% of done in a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon after church.

In this case, an accountant was only involved for a few hours every quarter
when government documents had to be filled out and filed.

WMF is bigger than that, at least in terms of the amount of money involved.
The record-keeping requirements are also more complex. To deal with this you
need someone full-time. Being full-time it means on staff and paid to
perform work that the smaller operation only periodically needs an
accountant to do.

The position of treasurer on the board then becomes more important, but -
hopefully - less onerous. Someone else is doing the daily bookkeeping and
you're in an executive position as treasurer. However, you need to know
enough to double-check the work of the CFO from time to time and give
intelligent advice on what priorities are. You also need to take the CFO's
work to the rest of the board. This is the hard work part of being
treasurer.

For these reasons you ideally need someone who has the experience to fill
the CFO position, but actually just act as the executive above them. This
makes it very difficult to elect a suitable candidate and far more
appropriate to appoint one. Someone taken from the community would obviously
be preferred, but the pool of qualified candidates is small.

Brian McNeil