[Foundation-l] WMF/EFF and Copyright extension

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Feb 21 17:04:59 UTC 2008

Chad, I think your wording is remarkably eloquent for someone who claims not
to be a writer. Of course, we could argue here on-list for the next week or
so about the wording - or we could get off our butts and promote the
petition.

I've already printed the front page of the petition out to take along with
me to the EFF offices in Brussels tomorrow. As long as you can avoid
accusations of spamming I'd suggest posting this on the Village Pump of
Wikipedia. Perhaps prior to that you need to put the petition into context
and detail what the current and proposed copyright terms are. I've already
signed the petition and wish you the best of luck in promoting it. I intend
to see it included in the Wikinews article we do tomorrow/Saturday following
our meeting with the EFF. Let's see you get this up on Slashdot and other
techie sites where there is a pro-open licensing and public domain
sentiment, let's show the EU that we can outdo the Muslim community when it
comes to getting signatures on a petition. :-P

[Aside, I note already signatures from new EU member states such as Poland,
with Wikinews Poland being quite an active site I'll be watching for their
contributors turning up in IRC and asking them to sign and help you out with
translations. The ideal is to have this in every language used within the
EU. This was exactly what I wanted WMF to do but was misinterpreted as
wanting some bizarre extension to MediaWiki.]

Brian McNeil