[Foundation-l] Creative Commons identifies "Free Cultural Works" approved licenses

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 21 03:34:50 UTC 2008

Creative Commons has gone live with a new design for their two free
content licenses:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

This design identifies the licenses as being compliant with the
Definition for Free Cultural Works (and links to it). The DFCW is also
the basis of Wikimedia's licensing policy, and has been linked to from
the Free Software Foundation's definition of free software:

It has also been endorsed by the Commonwealth of Learning for its
large number of international educational initiatives.

This support by Creative Commons should be welcome news to all
Wikimedians, as it will make it easier for us to argue that all
licenses are not, in fact, equal -- and that releases under licenses
like CC-BY-NC or -ND simply do not work for us.

We're continuing our dialog with CC, and their responsiveness has been
amazing (thanks to any CCers reading this :-). The fact that our
office is just a few blocks away now helps. :-)

Best,
Erik
--
Erik Möller