[Foundation-l] Board elections

Philippe Beaudette philippebeaudette at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:46:28 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew:

I can only speak for my experience last year.

Last year, we had essentially three main tasks: rule-making, communication,
and logistics.

1)  Rule-making was, far and away, the easiest.  Part of that is because we
were sort of locked into one voting system for technical and timing reasons
(no time to change it really), although we spent a good deal of time looking
at it to see if it could be done prior to making a recommendation to the
board.  Then, we created the endorsements system and wrote the documents to
make them public that had the rules of the election on it.  We also codified
who was eligible to vote in that election, etc.

2)  In Communication, we (by we, I mean "Aphaia" primarily) found people to
translate the documents into as many languages as possible and posted them
as many places as we could think of ... including the Village Pump or
equivalent on EVERY wiki ... and pushed the documents out as far as we
could.  This took a major chunk of our time.  Throughout the election,
communications dominated my life, and I can't even imagine how much work
Aphaia put into it.

3)  For logistics, we communicated with SPI to get their agreement to help
and to audit, and we set up (by we, I mean "Tim and SPI") a wiki on SPI's
server.  Then, the messages were localized on that Wiki and prepared for
voting.  In addition, we reviewed each endorsement to see if they were
appropriate to the rules and watched (closely) for sockpuppets on the SPI
wiki.  We also had to deal with importing (and then re-importing, because of
a technical glitch) the list of voters with suffrage.

It was hard work.  Frankly, there were some things that I wish we'd had time
to do that just didn't get done.  I couldn't even guess how many hours went
into it for each committee member.  The committee we had worked well
together, as a rule - like any group working under that much stress, there
were disagreements - and worked hard.  I can remember several IRC meetings
that were hours long.

I hesitate to guess how many total hours I put in, but I'll tell you that
when the election was over, my partner joked that he hadn't seen me in
weeks.  I was up very late many nights, and cancelled a lot of "non-wiki"
events in order to be online as each of our several deadlines rolled over.
My boss still shudders when I mention that time.  So, while the time
commitment is great, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  As a study in web
2.0 communities, it's fascinating work.  As a study in election systems and
methods, it's even more fascinating.

Philippe