[Foundation-l] WMF/EFF and Copyright extension

Philippe Beaudette philippebeaudette at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:12:20 UTC 2008

Modified:

Whereas: The Wikimedia Foundation wishes to encourage freedom of content, a
goal endangered by the recent efforts of the European Union to extend
copyright for musical artists from 50 to 95 years and,
Whereas, The Wikimedia Foundation operates the largest collection of free
and copy-left content in the world, and,
Whereas, The Wikimedia Foundation has always encouraged the distribution and
creation of free content, and,
Whereas, the thousands of contributors to Wikimedia's contributions are a
vocal and committed body,

then, therefore, be it resolved that:

The Wikimedia Foundation publicly denounces the actions taken by the
European Union to extend the life of copyright, and calls for the Union to
immediately halt all discussions that endanger the expiration of or lengthen
the period of copyright standards.

~Philippe