[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome to our two new board members

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Thu Feb 14 03:10:01 UTC 2008

Thank you to all the well-wishers. I look forward to working with Domas
and the rest of the board.

Robert alluded to people expressing concern in previous elections about
the Signpost creating a conflict of interest. To nitpick, I don't recall
it quite that way. In 2004, the Signpost did not exist yet. And when I
ran in 2007, I stated at the outset that I would discontinue work there
if elected. So that pretty much preempted the issue, and nobody bothered
to raise concerns with me.

Anyway, to answer the question, as before I don't plan to do both at the
same time, so the images of Muhammad story may be my valedictory
Signpost article. Whether you see it as a time conflict, an interests
conflict, or both, it wouldn't be compatible for me. I don't think being
somewhat "purist" about the Signpost's independence is bad, especially
since it really does have to show independence about the community's own
disputes (you could ask David.Mestel about people trying to redo their
arbitration cases in his weekly report). It's been tricky enough
balancing what I "know" confidentially from internal discussions I'm
aware of and what I "know" with my reporter hat on.

--Michael Snow