[Foundation-l] Our values

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 08:22:34 UTC 2008

Michael Snow wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Brianna Laugher wrote:
>>
>>> Also I assume a spellchecker would run over this sooner or later but
>>> "Independance" is bugging me a bit :) -> "Independence".
>>> </pedant>
>>>
>> oh...
>> hmmm
>> During the past few weeks, I learned to transform my "responsability" in
>> "responsibility".
>> So, independence is next in line :-)
>>
> No, please don't. We're passing up such a wonderful opportunity to
> finally solve the eternal British vs. American English debate - we
> should just submit all disputed spellings to the Académie française.
>
> --Michael Snow

Speaking of which...

It is open days for membership at Académie Française. 6 seats to
replace, 2007 being a very tough year for our old folks.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2008/02/06/03004-20080206ARTFIG00008-l-academie-francaise-en-quete-d-immortels.php

(cultural minute: the academy was created in 1635. There are 40 seats. A
seat is replaced only after the death of its user. In a situation where
people frequently die after 90, that means the membership is pretty old.
6 deaths in one year is bad karma...)