[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Wikimedia-wide globalblocking mechanism?

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Mon Feb 4 14:35:32 UTC 2008

Hello,

Birgitte SB wrote:
> As I said before [1], stewards should be allowed to
> opt-in the wiki's with no community.  Disscussions
> only need to happen if there is an active community.
> I also don't mind opt-out if everyone gets
> comprehensible notification about the system and how
> to opt-out.

If the stewards would be able to decide themselves to opt-in a wiki
without community approval, then this is quite the same as the opt-out
proposal by Lodewijk.

IMHO, when this system is technically ready, there should be a
discussion in each wiki which has a community, at least to inform the
wiki that
1. the new feature exists,
2. the wiki has the choice to opt-in or -out.
Now if no community is able to take such a decision, and the stewards
take it for them, your proposition is quite the same as Lodewijk's. It
only gives more power to stewards, which they should not have.

Regards,

Yann

--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence