[Foundation-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:43:18 UTC 2008

> Back in 2004, Jimmy Wales has stated:
>
> *I officially pronounce that as of June 30, 2004, content which we are
> using _solely_ by virtue of non-free licenses should be removed from
> Wikipedia.*[1]
>
> In 2007, a resolution regarding it has announced:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Resolution:Licensing_policy&action=history

Well, that didn't happen and there is no consensus for it. The fact
that the board passed a resolution regarding the use of non-free
content shows that that pronouncement is outdated.

> So, yes, there is a need to an official statement. Erik and Mike have given
> theirs *opinions*.

No, Erik gave an official statement. He clearly stated that he was
speaking on behalf of the WMF. If he wasn't authorised to do so, then
his boss, Sue, will take the necessary action (I'm sure she's aware of
the statement, she's on this mailing list). The fact that neither she
nor the board have made a statement to the contrary strongly suggests
that Erik's statement was, indeed, officially authorised and, absent
of any reason to believe otherwise, we should accept it as such.

Why do people have a problem with the Deputy Executive Director making
official statements? It seems a perfectly reasonable part of his job.