[Foundation-l] "Wikidrama" and autonomy of Wikimedia projects

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:51:02 UTC 2008

Unfortunately, you've misunderstood the situation. Since discussing real
situations is normally preferable, here's a hopefully quick, hopefully
neutral description which names names. For your consideration:

Moulton is indefinitely blocked (or maybe banned?) on enwiki, and has since
moved to Meta, then to Wikiversity, where he is working on
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Ethical_Management_of_the_English_Language_Wi
kipedia - until recently it contained links to his blog, which apparently
outs Wikimedians. SB Johnny is a CheckUser there, and an admin at Commons
(among other stuff) & was recently nominated for CU at Commons
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators/Requests_and_votes
/SB_Johnny_(checkuser) with the aftermath located at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Administrators/Requests_and_votes/
SB_Johnny_(checkuser)/Bureaucrats_discussion and the talk pages of both).
Due to his involvement with Moulton and his project, several enwiki users
came to Commons to voice opposition. There are some privacy issues involved,
but that much should clarify what we're talking about.

Commons does indeed have an active community - the issue was what to do
about an influx of new users voting on an RFX. Commons doesn't have a
suffrage policy, so there was a small amount of hand-wringing over that
issue, and much drama surrounding the whole affair.

So the situation is not that some outsider had requested CU, and the folks
from elsewhere were largely opposing the nomination. And Johnny is not
banned elsewhere - he is not the problem user.

However, I think your prescription stands. It was appropriate to give light
weight to new users' votes (actually, they were disregarded entirely;
CheckUser uses a straight-up vote :\ ) and with the situation at
Wikiversity, it is up to that community to reign in problem users or not as
they see fit. Certainly past experience of other projects should guide &
inform them though.

Further discussion should not flog the horse described above, but should
please look at the general issues raised.

Thanks, Mike