[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:59:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Renata St <renatawiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the only global principle that's true to all projects is FREEDOM.
> Both in $ and (c) sense. So give the projects another freedom: decide its
> own policies.

The most important principle for any edition of Wikipedia is to build
an encyclopedia. So, it's not freedom. The most important principle
for any edition of Wikinews is to build a news agency (or whatever the
name is). Again, the most important principle is not freedom. ...

And there are some principles around building an encyclopedia, media
storage, news agency etc. -- which are not, again, freedom.

Again, we have our own principles which Florence quoted (in relation
to Wikipedia): Wikipedia is an encyclopedia NPOV; openness; civility;
sources necessary / no original work; free licence; ignore all rules
(except for the pillar rules). Somewhat different principles are
around some other Wikimedia projects.

So, any project, while hosted at WMF servers, mustn't to deviate
(significantly) from those principles. And there is no such freedom,
like, for example, building a repository of hate speech or a
repository of copyright infringements. There is no freedom to build a
project driven by closed group of persons, too. Etc. etc.