[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Dror K dror1975 at icqmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:49:32 UTC 2008

Hello,
Currently we have very few global principles for the Wikimeian projects,
namely the GFDL principle and maybe the NPOV principle. We have many
recommendations listed on the Meta, which are not taken seriously in
many projects. Wikimedia projects have grown tremendously, and in my
opinion, it has become crucial that the list of principles governing all
projects be a little more detailed. I suggest a few basic
recommendations become obligatory. For example, [[meta:Polls are evil]]
should become mandatory as a guideline to all projects. This article is
very important as it put into practice the NPOV principle as well as the
desicion-by-consensus and the differentiation between facts and views
principles. I suppose there are other recommendation of this kind that
should become mandatory guidelines. I am not suggesting a constitution
or a full rule book. I do suggest to carefully single out several basic
principles, since the projects' autonomy is a bit too wide, especially
as we want to promote cross-contributions between projects.
Dror