[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:22:09 UTC 2008

Honestly, a few months participating in the projects hands on
would give the Board and staff a much better idea of who they're
working for. It's not for your large donors. It's not for potential
venture capitalists. It's not for any of the reasons or people
that seem to recently be the focus of the WMF.

In case you all have forgotten, you work for the community. The
community is not the tight-knit group who post on Foundation-l
or contribute to meta. The community also isn't the pre-approved
list of people allowed to post via the approved mediums (read: PR
channels, such as Planet Wikimedia or the WMF Blog). The
community also isn't defined by what the ED's staff or Board says
it is.

The community is the millions of anonymous and pseudo-anonymous
contributors who've put their work into the projects to give a staff a nice
fat paycheck and let the Board pussyfoot their way around proper
governance.

Out of curiosity: If the entire Board and staff were put up to a public vote
across /all/ projects (assuming good representation could be assured),
I wonder how many of them would be with the WMF at the end of the day.

For free content,
Chad