[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 19:42:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<janbart at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>  The most significant change here is probably the addition of two
>  chapters-selected seats. This has been under consideration for a long
>  time, and we are glad to finally be implementing it. We want to
>  acknowledge that the chapters are an important player in the fulfillment
>  of the Wikimedia Foundation's mission, and that they therefore deserve a
>  voice in the governance of the Foundation. Please note that the two
>  chapters-selected seats are not intended to represent the interests of
>  the chapters vis-a-vis the Foundation. The chapters are being asked to
>  pick trustees who they feel will represent the interests of the
>  Wikimedia Foundation, and help it fulfill its mission as well as it
>  possibly can.

Have the details of this already been worked out? Are those two seats
divided via an election where every chapter has an X number of votes,
or is it a more consensus orientated process where all chapters
discuss together which two candidates are the best suited?

>  Both the community-elected and chapter-selected seats have a duration of
>  two years. These seats will expire in alternating years, which means
>  that community-elected seats will be up for renewal on the July 1st
>  2009, 2011, and 2013, and chapter-selected seats will be up for renewal
>  on July 1st 2010, 2012, 2014, etc.

That sounds like a good idea as the past has shown that organizing
elections is a time costly effort.

Bryan