[Foundation-l] Bertelsmann publishes "Wikipedia Encyclopedia in One Volume"

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:04:00 UTC 2008

2008/4/23 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 23/04/2008, Mary Murrell <mary_murrell at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Free as in $19.95-a-pop beer, yeah.
>
> Not bad for a 1000-page lump of dead tree, I'd say.

Yeah. 20 EUR is, what, fifteen quid? That's pretty cheap for a
hardbound general reference work, especially one run off with decent
print standards (ie, colour throughout)

Britannica Concise is £50 for 2k pp.; DK's illustrated childrens'
encyclopedia is £30 for 800pp; some random A-Z Reference Book is £25
for 1400pp; Hutchinson Encyclopedia is £40 for 1000pp.; Penguin
Concise Encyclopedia is £19 for 1000pp (but is a rather cheap-looking
paperback, probably not much in the way of colour)

Assuming the German one-volume quick-reference market is about the
same as ours, it's priced well.

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk