[Foundation-l] Bertelsmann publishes "Wikipedia Encyclopedia in One Volume"

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:01:26 UTC 2008

2008/4/22 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>:
> I was curious how the German press will react. Up to now, Google news
>  reports about 103 newspaper on-line articles. Most of them simply tell by
>  their own words what they learned from the news agency dpa. Frankfurter
>  Allgemeine, the most important newspaper (center-right), has even two
>  commentaries about the Bertelsmann edition, both somewhat mocking. One of
>  them said that the ideals of Wikipedia have been betrayed, because Wikipedia
>  now trusts more to the literary editors of a big business group than to the
>  Wikipedia contributors, who were not asked whether they want to become
>  unpaid Bertelsmann collaborators.
>  But most of the papers were neutral or slightly positive.
>  By the way, I myself consider to buy a copy for my parents to christmas.
>  Ziko

This betrays a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of Frankfurter
Allgemeine of what Wikipedia is. Is it not commonly understood that
Wikipedia content is free to reuse by whomever wishes to use it (under
the terms of the GFDL), even for commercial purposes?

Why does a particular reuse of Wikipedia content (which we can't, and
wouldn't want to, control) reflect anything on Wikipedia?

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)