[Foundation-l] Three fundraising job openings

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:32:05 UTC 2008

On 18/04/2008, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, coming from an NGO background, "development" refers to human
> development - access to basic human needs, and opportunity to alleviate
> oneself and one's community from poverty. I'm sure it means all sorts of
> things in different sectors - not to mention "developers", which have a
> specific meaning in our technologically based domain. I would suggest at
> least specifying in the title that the post relates to fundraising, and, if
> we're to keep the word "development", clarifying what that means in the job
> description.

"Development" is certainly a common euphemism for "fundraising" used
in the education sector, FWIW - there's a "Development Director"
upstairs at my current employer, for example, and a friend was
recently the "Development Manager" for a university*. It's certainly
not a particularly unusual term, in my experience.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

* He is now the "Foundation Director" for a largish private school,
which is the other common euphemism used in the sector for "the guy
who extorts donations", but that would be even more confusing for us,
I fear!