[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 20:25:32 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> And yet, a contract is a pledge of sorts, but its enforceability is
> supported by law.  However, to gain that enforceability, the contract
> must be sufficiently certain. Given that the key focus of that non-
> disparagement agreement is "disparagement", it would seem critical
> that disparagement be defined. And yet, it's not. It's suitably vague.
> That's hurting the value of what a pledge is: a promise that something
> will (or will not) happen. If that act or omission is not actually
> defined (such as in this case, with disparagement being the act), then
> you simply cannot make that kind of promise. On top of that, for a
> promise like this to be worthwhile, it must be equitably applied to
> members of the group (i.e. all members of the board, or all members of
> the staff, or all of both). Picking and choosing who falls underneath
> the pledge/contract diminishes its value by allowing loopholes. For
> instance, suppose all the staff and board signed this agreement, and
> one member (board or staff, doesn't matter) leaves disgruntled. Under
> the text of that agreement, that member does not have any assurances
> that an independent contractor for the foundation won't slam them
> (since said people wouldn't be covered under the agreement). Given
> this discrepancy, it's feasible to see a situation where this
> agreement as written works far more to the benefit of the foundation
> than to the benefit of an employee/trustee who leaves. And that's not
> a good thing.
>
> -Dan

Nod.

Regarding (who gets) benefits of the agreement, it seems frequent that
the non-disparagement agreements are typically signed at the moment when
an employee quits an organization (be it because he resigns or is fired).
The future-ex-employee can choose to sign the agreement or not.
Agreement to sign may come with a financial compensation for the employee.

Ant