[Foundation-l] Criteria for the closure of projects.

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:43:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  What I proposed is really minimalistic. Requiring an annual growth of 10% is
>  dangerous. It may mean that at some stage the English Wikipedia is to close
>  because it does not grow by 10% any more... not good.

You missed the second part of what I said. I suggested we request a
growth rate AND we set a cut-off for when a project has reached a
stable size and no longer needs to demonstrate continued growth. en.wp
would satisfy the second condition, as would any large and
self-sustaining project. We obviously do not close large projects like
en.wp.

Having 1000 articles which are generated in a day by a single bot, and
no additional growth in membership or article count is hardly
sufficient to keep a project open. Projects which do not attract
editors, and which do not grow in size, are not operational projects.

>  So please, consider the three criteria I proposed and leave it at that for
>  this thread.

the criteria that you posted were a good start but had a number of
shortcomings. I'm trying to suggest ways to address those.

--Andrew Whitworth