[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Sep 24 17:08:12 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 23/09/2007, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>

>> [SF is very expensive]
>>

> Isn't this going to be a problem in any major city? It's certainly not
> unique to SF... heck, the average house price *here* is more than
> $500,000* and this isn't a world-leading hub city by any standards.
>
> A lot of these problems really are effects of moving out of Florida,
> not of where specifically we're moving to.

Some more than others. It's certainly true of all the U.S. cities the
foundation considered (Boston, NYC, Washington, SF), but for some reason
they considered *only* the most expensive U.S. cities. And those aren't
even the ones with the best plane connections, supposedly a major reason
for leaving Florida. The top 4 U.S. cities for international plane
connections are Atlanta, Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles, of which
only New York was considered. And Atlanta and Chicago are considerably
cheaper than S.F. (especially Atlanta).

-Mark