[Foundation-l] use of wikipedia's globe on non wikimedia's wikis?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:47:39 UTC 2007

On 15/09/2007, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Logo is a trademark of Wikipedia. I am uncertain if it was registered
> though. Either way I think even the thought of the foundation suing that
> sites owner seems highly unlikely to me. The lack of tolerance to some
> terrible sense of humor would be bad publicity.

Can you have unregistered trademarks? I know you get copyright
automatically whether you register it or not, but I thought you had to
register trademarks. When there was discussion about changing the logo
(some of the symbols are apparently wrong) someone from the foundation
said that they weren't registered trademarks yet, so we could change
them without worrying about losing the trademark. As far as I know,
they haven't been registered since then.