[Foundation-l] PanImages: cross-lingual image search created using 'Wiktionaries'

jim gunn jimgunnsigns at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 13 10:24:28 UTC 2007

yes I have reported your tax exempt charity 501 (c)  to the IRS, and the Florida department of law enforcement. Betcha  ole "Jimbo" will be in for a rude awakening.  I think 135 e-mails from your cult is enough to warrant a little scrutiny...which is why I pitched a segment idea to a network TV  documentary series to great interest and talked to an old friend who I've known as a colleague and a neighbor for many years...ever heard of Michael Moore ? God you have got to love investigative journalism-it helps to keep the fraudsters in check.... And I am thankful that you graciously harassed me with all of those spam e-mails because it means war-not with violence but a war where your cult will lose MONEY. Speaking of fraudster's sending checks, your cult will  pay me, directly or otherwise.And it goes without saying I have reported your cult to any and all internet providers and I will enjoy making money from you. Hell, I deserve it.  And by the way, L. Ron  was a conman.

Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:  PanImages Image Search Tool Speaks Hundreds Of Languages
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/news/2007/09/12/panimages-image-search-tool-speaks-hundreds-of-languages/

quote:
PanImages' powerful brains were created by scanning more than 350
machine-readable online dictionaries. Some of these were
"wiktionaries," online multilingual dictionaries written by
volunteers. The PanImages software scans these dictionaries and uses
an algorithm to check the accuracy of the results. It then assembles
the results in a matrix that allows translation in combinations that
may never have been attempted — for instance, from Gujarati to
Lithuanian.

The actual search engine is here:
http://www.panimages.org/index.jsp?displang=eng

And the research paper detailing the algorithm and method is here:
http://turing.cs.washington.edu/papers/EtzioniMTSummit07.pdf

An idea to use Wiktionary or interwiki links to improve image search
for Commons has long been kicked around. Maybe we could collaborate
with them to improve the Mayflower search engine for Commons? (Or else
ask them to index upload.wikimedia.org and pay attention to license
metadata :)) After all, we supplied them with all this useful data for
free.

cheers,
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/