[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:18:28 UTC 2007

2007/9/11, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> On 9/11/07, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Of 15 requirements, I count 3 adhered to, 5 broken and 8 trivially
> > adhered to. If we're so bad at keeping to the GFDL ourselves, we
> > surely are putting undue pressure on others by forcing them to adhere
> > to it.
>
> Lol, I am an earnest man, and it takes a lot to make me chuckle
> cynically (to paraphrase Christopher Hitchens); but the idea of
> wikimedians/pedians "putting undue pressure on others" and
> "forcing" users of wikimedian/pedian content to adhere to anything
> at all by anything other than gentle persuasion and offering
> information on how to "do the right thing"... Really - Mind, meet
> Boggle.

Well, it's true. We don't force people things. They also have the
choice to not copy our content. But I thought that the idea of using
the GFDL is that others can use Wikipedia material. And anyone who
wants to do that *is* forced to keep to the GFDL. And then I repeat:
If we, as a large website that is fully under the GFDL, feel unable to
adhere to the license, then how on earth can we ask on others like
Teun that they DO adhere to it?

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels