[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Sep 11 16:28:02 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>> No WMF is a service provider. Publisher is the author.

>I emailed the FSF about Wikipedia's compliance with the GFDL (short
>answer: he couldn't see any real problem, although it wasn't a lawyer
>I was talking to) and the person the replied considered WMF to be the
>publisher, and I agree with him. Just because they claim to be just a
>host doesn't make it so.

You should correct that misconception wherever you find it. There are
important legal considerations and issues surrounding the Foundation's
liability if they are deemed a publisher.

The Foundation publishes very little; it is the *contributors* who use
servers and resources provided by the Foundation who publish. You don't hold
a company who offers free blog space responsible as a publisher, and the
Foundation relies on the same provisions to protect them from being sued.

Brian McNeil