[Foundation-l] Our values

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Sat Sep 1 01:55:01 UTC 2007

Hello,

In the past few months, the WMF has adopted officially a vision
(tagline) and clarified its mission statement.

The difference between the two is that the vision is the dream, what we
are trying to do, even if that seems impossible. This is the long long
long future.
The mission is the more practical path we decide to follow to reach our
vision.

Currently, you may find our vision
here:http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vision

and the mission there:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission

--------

A next step for a non-profit is to define its values. Values are the
driving force in a nonprofit.

Before you tell me "what's that boring stuff and why on earth would it
be useful for", let me explain :-)

Values represent the core priorities in the organization’s culture,
including what drives people's priorities and how they truly act in the
organization, etc.

I'd like that we establish four to six core values from which the WMF
would operate. These values would not only be the values glueing us all
together (such as free culture, commitment to diversity etc...), but
should also be the values YOU, as an editing community, want the WMF to
have toward the community, the readers, the staff, etc...

The more we expand the staff, the more chance there is that part of the
staff joins WMF with no single idea of our values. So the more it
becomes important for us to make sure the staff understand our values
and respect them. As such, writing down them will help.

Same for chapters. Until now, we consider that a chapter sharing most of
its mission statement with WMF one is a "like minded" organization. But
will it always be true in the future when we have 200 chapters ? How
will we identify and check that chapters are really on the same "foot" ?

Even without going as far, we might meet a problem sooner than we can
think of, if a big company just decide to create a BIG encyclopedia for
free, which, for whatever reasons, would get good ranks on some search
engines.... in this case, what would be important to us ?
Probably, it will be important that we explain to the world what is
truely important to us. What is truely important are values.

----------

I would like to ask you to have a look at the value page on meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Values

And add more suggestions there, or different phrasings. Values can be
expressed by keywords, or by sentences. Either are fine, as long as they
express what is important to us.
Or comment on some of the keywords already there.

Be careful to notice the difference between our preferred values and the
true values (those actually reflected by members behaviors). In this
case, just put a note (''we are not very good on this, but I think this
value would be very important to us to follow).

The current values were defined with the help of the advisory board
member, during the board retreat immediately before Wikimania.
More on this here: http://advisory.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meeting_August_2007

Thanks to all for your help.

Anthere