[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 43, Issue 74

Jason Safoutin jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org
Sun Oct 14 22:52:22 UTC 2007

foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:33:50 +0200
> From: MeMo <moamen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Reboot on LGBT/Egypt issue (was Re:
> 	[Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt)
> 	<foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> OK  .. people
>    there is something that i need to clarify
> you r talking like once a gay man enters the an Egyptian airport he will be
> arrested 'for being gay' the imprisoned and tortured .. i must say that this
> is TOTALY wrong.
> the only case that a gay or a straight person might get arrested is for
> doing a direct sexual act in a public place - a street or instance - and
> this apply to both heterosexual and homosexuals a like .. other than that
> there is no problem if you already have a partner.
> as renting a hotel room with you partner or holding his hand is no problem
> at all simply because those acts are common in Egypt ..
> men do hold each others hand and friends do rent rooms together without
> being considered gay or harassing them in any mean .

Really? Read this link: <http://www.gaymiddleeast.com/country/egypt>
then tell me that its not true. Not to mention
<http://hrw.org/reports/2004/egypt0304/> at Human Rights Watch. And no
one ever said that every homosexual will be arrested the second they get
off the plane. What has been being said is that the risk is too high to
take the chance in a country that forbids it in every way regardless if
its in a hotel or not.

Jason Safoutin