[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Mohamed Magdy mohamed.m.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:32:37 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Mohamed Magdy <mohamed.m.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   and
>>> mistreatment of female travelers who are foolish enough to violate
>>> Islamic norms)
>> Where did you get that information?
>
> This was a part of the cautionary message my very reliable travel
> agent provided me with... along with a litany of general safety
> scaremongering far in excess of I'd get when traveling to random spots
> in Germany or the U.K.

I'm not questioning their reliability of getting you to your destination
  , I'm rather questioning the accuracy of information they have about
Egypt. whether they visited Egypt by themselves and experienced it (and
telling you their personal findings) or googled keywords similar to
yours and formulated an opinion to offer to their customers. What they
are saying will remain hypothetical and generalizations. Exactly like
the information I can give you (or any other Egyptian in Egypt). I can
say that their information is false and vice versa.

> It is, however, trivial for people to find similar advice:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=m41&q=egypt+women+dress+harassment+tourist&btnG=Search
>
> ...Which includes some shocking material even more worry some than the
> advice I was given.
>
> Or another search:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=RkM&q=egypt+women+dress+tourist&btnG=Search

You cannot expect me to comment on every result returned ;) one comment
though, take your time to read some of these results and use common
sense (tm). You will be safe in Egypt, Come anytime, Wikimania or
anytime you wish :).

--
user:alnokta