[Foundation-l] Copyright deposits are mandatory (was Re: GFDL and relicensing)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Nov 26 03:23:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 9:45 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> I've heard it argued before that distribution over the
> Internet is more adequately defined as a public performance/display

Ah, here it is.  It's the EFF (!) making the argument, in this case
with respect to the transmission of music over a P2P network, but I
don't see how it wouldn't apply equally to transmission of Wikipedia
over the web.

http://www.eff.org/cases/elektra-v-barker/attachments/effs-amicus-brief

It kind of makes you rethink everything you always thought about
copyright law as it applies to the Internet.  For instance, the GFDL
apparently (I did a quick search) doesn't even mention public
performance or public display.  Oops?