[Foundation-l] Ombuds-wo-men commission

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Sat Nov 24 16:20:36 UTC 2007

Hello,

It has been over a year since the first commission was appointed. It was
high time for renewal. I would like to thank you our previous team,
Nathan, Steve and Enders for their help over the past year (their task
was not always very easy), and welcome the new team
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mackensen
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rebecca
* http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hei_ber

The ombudsman commission is tasked with processing complaints about
violations of the privacy policy on any Wikimedia project, in particular
concerning the use of CheckUser tools. The ombudsman is tasked with
investigating cases of such policy breach or CheckUser abuse for the
board in an official manner. They will mediate between the complainant
and the respondent (usually a CheckUser, bureaucrat, administrator, or
arbitration committee member). When legally necessary, the ombudsman
will assist the general counsel, the executive director or the board in
handling the case.

Since the issue was raised during the year, let me repeat that the
commission is not here to fix various disagreements and abuse reports,
but is dedicated to issues related to privacy policy infringments.

These people were selected to provide a healthy mix of language, project
and gender diversity. Two have been CU, so are familiar with this role
and the issues related to CU activities. The third is deeply interested
in privacy policy issues. All have been highly recommanded. I hope you
will feel confortable with them joining this commission.

More on the commission here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ombudsman_commission

Best

Florence