[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:03:56 UTC 2007

On 23/11/2007, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> en.wikibooks that I haven't touched at least on some level.  Mind you,
> I'm not trying to say I'm going to be a PITA on this, but a presumption
> that existing copyright claims are irrelevant and can be effectively
> ignored is going to be something tough to accomplish and IMHO a legal
> nightmare.  I know for a fact that I am not alone here on this
> declaration of copyright on my contributions to Wikimedia projects.

Then why did you hit "submit" each time?

> My contributions have been under the terms of the GFDL, and whatever the
> FSF says is the "or later version" I will respect in terms of fitting to
> the fine points of the GFDL.  There is no way I can "take the license
> away" at this point, but I certainly am going to expect that the terms
> of the GFDL are followed on my contributions.

I suspect I've lost track of the particular hypothetical offence you
are speaking of. A violation of your copyright that you'll win even if
the reuser points to "or later version"? If it's not a future version
of the GFDL, then "or later version" can't possibly apply.

- d.