[Foundation-l] GFDL and relicensing

Tim Bartel wikipedia at computerkultur.org
Wed Nov 21 19:42:41 UTC 2007

Marco Chiesa schrieb am 21.11.2007 19:21:
> Well, I've seen someone licensing media on commons with a double licence
> GFDL + cc-by-sa-nc. The only reason I can see is exploiting the GFDL
> clause of including the license in the copies, which in many cases is
> simply unpractical, particularly for an image. I can envisage these
> contributors will have a reason to complain if the GFDL becomes less
> restrictive.

To be honest the GFDL and its impracticability for printed reuse is
often used by wikipedians as argument to convince other persons (mainly
commercial companies) to release their work under a "free" license to
incorporate it into Wikipedia.

Of course theese companies surely aren't interested in easier reuse,
because they fear commercial reuse in print by other companies while
they like to decide over this by themselves.

Bye, Tim.

--
http://wikipedistik.de