[Foundation-l] Citizendium License (Was: [EWW] EditWikipediaWeek)

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Nov 21 12:30:14 UTC 2007

Multilicensing where authors select the license they wish is - in my opinion
- a bad idea for a wiki. Wiki is designed with the purpose of allowing
multiple contributors, and if you allow contributor A to say his stuff is
-CC-NC and contributor B to say his stuff is CC-BY-SA, then you have - for a
site like wikibooks - a book nobody will touch with a ten foot pole.
Google's response will be, "we have no easy way to figure the license", not
to be included in our list of reusable stuff... Gee you've loads of these,
better not list the site at all."

We've had one instance of this where a contributor insists he wishes his
contributions released under PD. Other people have rewritten parts of his
articles to bring it back under CC-BY, and many - like myself - will not
touch articles he starts with his PD template on them. Multiple licenses can
be grounds for a lack of cooperation between people with different
philosophical outlooks.

Brian McNeil