[Foundation-l] Putting the Foundation back in WMF

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:40:56 UTC 2007

On 16/11/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last year some people made a lot of ugly noises during the fund drive. It
> may be the reason why we do not have matching donations. I think it shows
> how irresponsible this has been.

People did raise objections to the fund drive last year, but you can't
describe those who objected as "irresponsible" or blame them for a
lack of matching donations. A discussion, or dissent, didn't cause
these problems directly - these "ugly noises" could have been ignored
if they had no validity. Obviously, people listened to, and acted
upon, these objecting opinions for various reasons. If you are right,
people dissented and objected, these dissenting opinions were
considered and acted upon (resulting in no matching donations), and we
are where we are now.

Blaming people - and especially blaming people for voicing opinions  -
isn't going to help us or fix anything, and it certainly isn't going
to foster the kind of open, considered debate we should be working
towards.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)