[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 15 17:39:49 UTC 2007

Rob Smith wrote:
> On 11/13/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>> Marc Riddell wrote:

>>> That's commune talk :-). Ray, by "bureaucratic structure" do you mean
>>> people?
>>>
>> I'm talking more about structures that elaborate rules to make sure that
>> everything is specified, or signing pledges...
>>
> I signed a pledge
> here<http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zkvarYNmXBAJ:encyc.connectonline.com/index.php/Wikipedia:Requests_for_mediation/Cberlet_and_Nobs01/Workshop+Wikipedia:Requests+for+mediation/Cberlet+and+Nobs01/Workshop&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us#Good%2520faith>
> .

That clearly arose in the context of an old dispute from two years ago.
I have no basis for determining whether or not it was justified.

What I'm talking about is general pledges that any editor would need to
sign before ever being involved in a dispute.  The majority still carry
on editing in their own specialties, consistently under the radar of
chronic disputers.  To have every one of them sign a pledge would be
demeaning.

Ec