[Foundation-l] Steward elections

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:31:26 UTC 2007

2007/11/12, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com>:
> This is a very informal notice that elections for new stewards are due to
> commence on 26 November. Candidates may nominate themselves from today:
> please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2007 for
> instructions, and
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/Application_guidelines for who can
> apply. In brief, you must be above the age of 18 on the final day of the
> election (16th December), have an account on Meta-Wiki, and be willing to
> identify yourself to the Foundation.

I'm considering nominating, but I have an issue with one of the
guidelines: "Don't change rights on your own project" - what counts as
your 'own' project here? Depending on the definition this could either
mean nothing (no project is of one person) or forbid me from doing
anything on Wikipedia (I have a user page on almost all languages).
The remark that this also holds for members of local arbitration
committees makes me think it's closer to the first, and then I really
wonder why this rule exists - if the definition of 'own project' is so
narrow that people can be a member of the arbitration committee on a
project that's not their own project, then what people are there who
_do_ have a project that would be called their own project?

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels