[Foundation-l] Fundraising totals as of Oct 7, 2007 @ 5:00 PM (EST)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:25:30 UTC 2007

> >> Getting the Dalai Lama to endorse us? Isn't that a sure way to get us
> >> blocked forever in China??
> >>

> > Letting that risk influence us is bowing to threatened censorship. I find
> > that disgusting and totally unacceptable.
> I think that Waerth was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with his
> comment--but I could be wrong...

Either way, we do need to be careful with things like this. The Dalai
Lama endorsing us could be seen (incorrectly, of course, but that
doesn't really matter) as us endorsing the Dalai Lama, which I think
we'd all agree isn't something Wikimedia should be doing. (Nothing
against the Dalai Lama, the same applies to any religious or political
leaders.)

Celebrities, in general, should be fairly safe, but religious and
political figures should probably be avoided.