[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 13:31:37 UTC 2007

on 11/7/07 7:55 AM, Brianna Laugher at brianna.laugher at gmail.com wrote:

> On 07/11/2007, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I agree with you, Mark. This is like requiring someone to sign a "loyalty"
>> pledge which is, in practice, meaningless; or forcing anyone in you life who
>> wants to be a friend to sign a statement saying they will never hurt you.
>> Once again, we have a cultural issue here. The Community agrees on a set of
>> rules. To be a part of that Community, you must abide by those rules. If you
>> don't, find another Community.
>
> But wasn't Erik's point that this is not really happening?
> - We can't agree on the rules (cultural norms)

Brianna, "rules of behavior" (don't steal) - which can be specifically
written, are different from "cultural norms" (be civil), which are more
mutually understood.

> - They are not universally enforced (people don't necessarily get
> negative social feedback when breaking one of them)

Then part of the cultural norm must be that people are called on it each
time it occurs. This is how cultural norms are established and reinforced.

> - People who disobey them aren't universally shunned (ie "find another
> Community")

The stronger and more united the Culture - the more uncomfortable such
persons will feel trying to function in it.

Any culture or system which involves freedom of choice requires vigilance,
nurturing and active participation by its members.

Marc