[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:03:04 UTC 2007

On 03/11/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> You misunderstand. It is none of our business. It is up to the foundation to
> organise its activities. When people want to get paid for things they have
> to provide enough data to comply with the regulatory requirements to get
> paid. This has nothing to do with privacy issues and is of no concern to us.
> It is indeed a privacy issue and as such it is exclusively between the
> foundation and the people / organisations involved.

But we are the Foundation.

I mean, this is foundation-l. It's here to discuss the activities of
the Foundation, to advise the Foundation on what to do, and provide
useful support for those activities. It is, in many ways, a part of
the Foundation's decision-making processes; it's where a lot of
material is kicked around and considered and chewed on for feedback.

I think having a sensible discussion about the potential side-effects
of a newly-announced policy - especially when those side-effects are
the sort of thing that can make a good idea rapidly become unworkable
- is exactly what we're here for. Saying it's somehow "not our
business" to advise ourselves is just surreal.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk