[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:22:13 UTC 2007

I think you may misunderstand.  The concern is that the WMF will now, for
the first time that I know of (but I could be ignorant), be paying or
purchasing something (good, or services) from members of the community, and
not from a normal vendor or paying an internal employee.

The WMF might be required, under some interpretations of tax law in the US
and how the payments are structured, to get a US IRS tax form (form 1099
probably) for each person it paid for an illustration.  Which is a lot of
administrative and recordkeeping headache and requires things like a social
security number to be provided, etc.

If it's structured so that the foundation is buying the rights to an image,
then that may be outside the contractor / pay for work structure enough to
be safe.  But this is legal / accountant territory.

-george william herbert