[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:19:32 UTC 2007

On 03/11/2007, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Indeed. But in all instances, it is none of our business nor of the WMF how
> the donor handles it re his taxes. When we accept a gift and spend it within
> the limitations associated with that gift, how the WMF pays applicable taxes
> is of no concern to either the donor or to the Wikimedia community as it is
> part and parcel of spending the money.
>
> It is unlikely that the US tax office will restrict us from spending money
> outside the US and consequently I do not understand at all why it is
> relevant to consider taxes.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

When you employ or hire someone, there are often taxes to be paid by
both parties. If those parties are in different countries, the taxes
can get a little confusing. They certainly need to be considered. (I
expect they have been, and the people involved know what they're
doing, I just think it odd not to mention it anywhere, so thought I'd
double check.)