[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in businessdevelopment

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:50:43 UTC 2007

> > > Any idea how much the cost is to the WMF to add a datafeed client?  As
> > > I've said, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.  Give me a
> > > datafeed, at 2x cost, with no restrictions on reselling it.  I'll set
> > > up a non-profit organization dedicated to distributing the data, and
> > > I'll take out a $25,000 personal loan at prosper.com which I'll turn
> > > around and reloan to the non-profit at the same interest rate.  I'll
> > > then set up a server with a MySQL database containing the data and
> > > offer shell accounts on the server for $10/month.
> > >
> > > Deal?
> >
> > Honest to god, and I am not a relgious man, I hope the Foundation
> > takes you up on this bluff,
>

> Good, that's one board member down.  Any other takers?
>
> I'm sure as one of the 100 most influential people in world you could make
> it happen.  Use that persuasive power.  It should be a no-lose offer for
> everyone.

I can't see any reason for anyone to reject it. If you want to mirror
Wikipedia, then you are free to do so, and if you want to mirror it
near-live and are willing to pay for the bandwidth, why would anyone
stop you? I'm not quite sure what you intend to prove. You could
provide a valuable service, though.