[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in business development

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:35:07 UTC 2007

> Reselling one or two DVD would not be a big deal.
> However, engaging into a real reselling activity of a DVD using
> trademarks which you are not authorized to use for a commercial
> activity, is illegal.

Trademark law would stop me making my own DVDs and selling them as
Wikipedia DVDs, but does it really stop me selling official Wikipedia
DVDs that I own? Having a trademark doesn't give you exclusivity on
using it, it just restricts what other people can use it for. If I'm
talking about Wikipedia, I can use the Wikipedia trademark.

> Yeah, and since your contract agreement at $100 explicitely does not
> allow you to resell the feed to a third party, you would engage into
> illegal activity as well.

That's a much more definite point. A datafeed involves a contractual
agreement between the two parties, so you can impose whatever
restrictions you like. A simple sale of a tangible item does not.

> Datafeed is one of the way we can make money. Which will allow us to pay
> the accountant.
> Which will allow us to provide all the financial information you are
> noisily requesting.
> If you count in "actual cost" uniquely the bandwidth cost, $100 could
> make it. But running an organization uniquely counting as cost, the
> bandwidth, is seriously being out of it.

It's a matter of priorities. Is it more important to get as much free
information as possible out there right now, or to be still able to
get free information out in a year's time? Anthony seems to believe
the former, you the latter. Both are valid points of view.