[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:59:02 UTC 2007

On 08/05/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I understand the emotional reasons for projects to have their "own
> identity," rather than being directly associated with Wikipedia
> through their name. What are the rational ones?

Because they're not encyclopedias, not even close. Encouraging people
to think of them in that way will cause them damage.

(I too have thought it'd be better for the projects if Wikipedia was
regarded as just one Wikibook, which it arguably is!)

There's a reason the foundation's called "Wikimedia", not just "Wikipedia".

- d.