[Foundation-l] 09-f9-...

Ed Sanders ejsanders at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:12:54 UTC 2007

> Todd Allen wrote:
> If you're correct there, then...wow, things are worse than I imagined.
> What if you did have a collection of 2000 credit card numbers, and
> never made an unlawful purchase on a single one? Who's been harmed?
> Likelihood of replication doesn't change the basic premise. That's
> getting into the realm of outlawing information and concepts rather
> than actions and deeds, and that's not a very good road to start
> walking down.

Well if you didn't have a good reason to be hoarding credit card numbers
you could be convicted of conspiracy to commit credit card fraud. In the
same way the only reason to distribute a number generated from porn
would be to distribute the porn, and the only reason the distribute that
exact DVD key is to circumvent a protection system (which is illegal in
the US, I believe). This is about outlawing the distribution of certain
information, which is very much a real crime in some circumstances.