[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 23:55:40 UTC 2007

Andre, I hope by now you can guess the response.

"Hoi,

The policy was created to help the new Wikis so we do not have similar
problems as before. We only require this of them and then they can
have their new Wikis." or somesuch, basically as you said before, "Our
policy is policy because it is policy". At this point, I don't expect
anything else from these people.

The langcom seems to think they know better than the community and
they seem unwilling to hear our input at all.

Mark

On 29/03/07, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/3/27, Sabine Cretella <sabine_cretella at yahoo.it>:
>
> > Andre, now that reaction is a bit silly, don't you think? We are not
> > fighting here - we are trying to make sure projects really have a good
> > chance.
>

> By not letting them start?!?
>
> People can work on the contents on incubator without problems,
> > but it is also relevant to make sure the UI is there.
>

> If they can work on the incubator without problems, surely they can also
> work on a separate wiki without problems?
>
> Then again: when we started nap.wikipedia people wanted to create
> > contents, I was the only admin that could edit the UI, but I had my
> > problems with that since I had to edit everything more than once not
> > being native, but the only techie that was around for that langauge.
> > Still we have some localization problems since not anybody can work on
> > it and who does has limited time - just not even a handful of people can
> > edit the UI ... so Incubator (and for now Betawiki) is a great place to
> > make sure things work out fine.
>

> Well, nobody stops you from doing the same thing on your own wiki, do they?
>
> As for Neapolitan now it is too late to
> > get people to work there. They simply don't see the reason why they
> > should do things there and so we are still with a half-way (in the mean
> > time probably 3/4) localized UI - and that does not help the language.
>

> So it is the fault of the neapolitans to not see  that they should do it? If
> they don't see the need, might that not mean that there is less need than
> you consider it to be?
>
> Small wikipedias do work and function in a different way than big ones
> > do. There are often language issues related as well: what if there is
> > programming needed to get the chars right? Even one and half a year
> > after having started the nap.wikipedia we still don't have a solution
> > for the '' (double quote that causes italic script) that we find within
> > a word - we have to write &#39; instead of the single quote ... that is
> > plain annoying. And: I am the only one who could hurry after the
> >
> programmers to do that stuff and I don't have time to do so ... so we go
> > along with that. By requiring certain stuff to be done first you avoid
> > that kind of mess and you avoid people to have that really bad
> > experience that new editors get annoyed since they cannot write like
> > they should/would. By doing the localization + some creation of contents
> > first: well we can make sure newbies do not have to deal with such
> > issues. (how would I love to see English with such an issue ... and how
> > would I like to see how long it takes to have it solved).
>

> Well, if  the Neapolitan Wikipedia  asks to be put on hold until the double
> quote problem is solved, surely people will listen? Because basically,
> that's what's happening to the wanted new Wikipedias - they are being put on
> hold until their problems are solved. So if that's best for them, won't it
> be best for nap: too?

> [...]

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.