[Foundation-l] Cary Bass (Bastique) hired as Volunteer Coordinator

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 19 06:29:51 UTC 2007

Dear community,

I would like to announce officially that the Wikimedia Foundation has
decided to hire Cary Bass (User:Bastique on various wikis, most active
on Commons) as Volunteer Coordinator. He will work full-time in the
Wikimedia Foundation office in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Please see

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-February/028066.html

for the original job description. Kat and I will work with Cary in the
very short term to refine this description and help him define his
areas of work.

Cary's most relevant experience is as a long time community member,
including his work as part of our OTRS e-mail response team. He has
shown on numerous occasions that he has the ability to motivate people
and to get things done, while being diligent and well-organized. The
entire Board and Staff has met Cary this weekend in St. Petersburg,
and I believe it's fair to say that we're all very happy to have him
onboard. Thanks to everyone else who applied.

Hiring Cary is part of our long term commitment to making sure that
the global volunteer community will be involved not just in
project-level work, but also in all aspects of what our organization
is doing. Expect some exciting initiatives from him in the near
future. :-)

Erik Möller
Executive Secretary, Wikimedia Foundation