[Foundation-l] BitTorrent Downloads of enwiki Images

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Sun Mar 11 00:45:57 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:

>I still have not understood what you were asking the authorization for.
>Images are under a free licence, so do not need our authorization to be
>distributed.
>
>Can you provide the exact text of what you are asking authorization of ?
>
>ant

The real issue is that when I receive DMCA notices, the "uploader" or
"provider" of the content is the Foundation if the author cannot be
identified or contacted. In response to Anthere, the real issue for the
foundation is this:

1. I will need either the foundation to the notify users on Wikipedia
via their talk page I have received such a notice or I am required to
contact the users about an image they have uploaded.
2. 10 days after I contact the Foundation or the user, if the DMCA
submitter fails to file suit against me in US District Court for
Copyright Infringement, the Foundation and the provider of the image is
relieved of liablity for the distribution of the images forever under
the doctrine of esstoppell.
3. The Foundation needs to decide whether these notices should be sent
to the individual wikipedia users, or the Foundation directly. in any
event, it would be an extra layer shielding the foundation from claims
for distribution of fair use images in tarballs along with XML dumps.

What will be distributed?

.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 syncrhonized archives of all images for each XML
dump published by Brion Vibber and the team
.tar.gz and .tar.bz2 syncrhonized archives of all images for each XML
dump with tagged fair use images removed published by Brion Vibber and
the team

Respectfully,

Jeff