[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Mar 8 22:31:28 UTC 2007

geni wrote:

>On 3/8/07, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
>

>>How is putting labels on people to create external bias NPOV? Here is
>>one area where our culture
>>and the english wikipedia culture differ. We do not ever put labels on
>>people this way. Someone's
>>personal sexual behavior is private, and certainly not an open topic in
>>an encyclopedia.
>>

>How were you planning to write about say [[Peter Tatchell]]? or pretty
>much anyone listed on:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:LGBT_rights_activists
>

>>Yes, it can be. What is NPOV to you may not be to me (as evidenced by my
>>previous comment).
>>

>That isn't how NPOV works. NPOV is meant to be an objective standard.

Or how about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Lynde
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Sargent

I guess its OK to "out" them since they are deceased now -- doesn't
matter what impact it might
have on their children or grandchildren? This is my point.

Or this one is a great one. Look at the disputed tag "Categorization of
People"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gay_actors

This is a far from NPOV in my culture as you can get. So where are the
"Heterosexual Actors" category, or are they
in the group "if you have not been labeled with our POV labels, you are
hetero".

Jeff