[Foundation-l] #wikipedia , english and other languages

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Thu Jun 21 10:54:08 UTC 2007

We've been asked not to discuss this on this list, but to clarify,
I'll quote from the new guidelines:

"Since #wikipedia is a channel for the entire Wikipedia community,
including a large number of language variants, people of all
backgrounds and language skills frequent the channel. Although English
is the most-used language on #wikipedia, there is no "official"
language of the channel. People are entitled to speak languages other
than English in the channel."

but at the same time:

"Discussions relating to specific wikis and processes thereof, such as
the English Wikipedia and adminship/deletion discussions there, should
be taken to more specific channels like #wikipedia-en."

The first quote bears a lot more weight than the second. They do
however deal with different things. Purely on language, any language
is permitted now and no-one should be disputing that.

On topic, any language's project is acceptable ("A place for
discussion relating to those language wikis which lack their own
sufficiently active IRC channel (the idea is to keep specific talk on
larger projects in their own channels to make #wikipedia more useful
for everyone)") but it is suggested that if the channel is getting too
busy that it be taken to other channels.

In a nutshell: #wikipedia is definately not exclusively English.

Sean

PS We'd love to see applications from non-English operators.

--
—Sean Whitton (seanw)
<sean at silentflame.com>